Mar 3, 2009

This is Not Cricket

I don't know how to react to what happened this morning.

I could be shocked. Cricketers have never been attacked before. India's previous tours passed without any incident. Yes, there was an incident involving the New Zealand team some years ago, and another one near the English team hotel in 2005. England were also in Mumbai when the Taj attack happened. But in none of those cases were cricketers attacked so directly, rashly and boldly. None of them injured any cricketers.

All our years of cricket-fanaticism has, to use a cliche, lulled us into a false sense of security. Because cricketers in the subcontinent are honoured, respected and worshipped, because they have always been, to use another cliche, demi-gods, there's this sense that no one, not even terrorists would do anything to them. When India cancelled their Pakistan tour (which was replaced by this tour), I joked that the Indian team shouldn't be worried about their security because even terrorists want to watch India-Pakistan cricket. That was the first thing I thought of when I heard this news.

Yet, I'm not shocked. It has never happened before, but it was always on the cards. Someone would think its a good idea and order some other people to do it. Terrorist strikes happen so often that I've become numb to them. I glance at the first two paragraphs of the report, and move on to the inside pages of the newspaper.
*

I could be afraid. As Barkha Dutt has been telling us for the last hour on NDTV, Lahore is very close to the border. The terrorists could just cross over and open fire in Amritsar. The bigger fear is for the sport in India. Every cricket match, more than ever, is a likely terrorist target (this includes the IPL). For the big cricketers, like Sachin and (perhaps) Dhoni, every public appearance is a security threat.

But these risks have always been there. This incident has only given images to attach to this fear.
*

I could be angry. But there are too many people to be angry against. There's the ideologues and the terrorists for conceiving and carrying out this act. There are the Pakistan security agencies who haven't been able to arrange for something as simple as a safe journey from the team hotel to the stadium. There is the chaotic Pakistan Cricket Board run until recently by incompetent army officers which somehow believed that a successful and safe cricket tour could happen in these times.

However, the diffusedness of the anger dims it and renders it tame. Anger is replaced by sheer helplessness and frustration.
*

I think I'm only sad. Sad for the policemen who died because some people thought it was important now to play a game of cricket. Sad for the cricketers who were injured - they travelled from their own troubled land to another one hoping to alleviate the panic that seems to have spread amongst the cricket playing countries about touring the subcontinent. Sad for Pakistan Cricket - some of the most colourful and individualistic cricketers over the years have come from there. Sad for Cricket itself, because what seemed like a sacred line has now been irremediably crossed.

16 replies:

Suhas said...

Depressingly true. Couldn't have summed up the feelings - and accompanying hopelessness - of us tragics any better. I've also written a post about it on my cricket blog, do read.

aandthirtyeights said...

Indiasmash, yes. Stop spamming me, please?

Suhas, thanks! Will read right away...

Anonymous said...

Who is indiansmash? Shady. Poor cricket team, I hope they pull out of it well. And you are a beautiful boy (darling boy).

aandthirtyeights said...

Anonymous, thank you. Indiasmash is shady. And you sound suspiciously like someone trying to create some minor scandal. Bird?

Unknown said...

Cricketers aren't demigods; in fact they are quite irrelevant to the larger causes the terrorists fight for.

In a country that just lost a PM candidate to an assassination, it is a stretch to expect anybody else to be safe. I think, unfortunately, this is true in India and Sri Lanka too.

Suffice to say that cricket as a sport is likely to die because its greatest benefactors are severely wounded. The Ashes will be all that remain.

Anonymous said...

Who bird? I am not trying to create any scandal. I am merely telling you that you are a Beautiful boy (darling boy).

aandthirtyeights said...

Anand, I have to disagree. Terrorists, from my limited understanding, try and cause fear and hatred (for whatever reasons), and I think very few things would further those ends more than an attack on subcontinental cricketers.

And, I'm not ready to believe that an attack so daring is possible in India. At least, not yet.

Anonymous, thank you.

Anonymous said...

@ Indiasmash: So have you broken the Blogspot captcha?

@ aandthirtyeights: One feels "to use a cliche" has now become a cliche.

Unknown said...

I actually agree with you on terrorists being able to meet their ends by targeting cricketers. Targeting sportsmen is a precedent set as early as Munich.

It is just that I don't trust the notion that India or Sri Lanka are far less vulnerable, the latter especially. All these countries have failed at various points to protect their heads of state, can't see how a cricketer could be more significant in the context of security.

My point being, the purpose has been served -- cricket can't live in the sub-continent much longer. Perhaps IPL will be the first place where we will see that is true. I hope not, of course.

Suhas said...

I'm not ready to believe that it is possible in India either. But I won't blame the rest of the world if they decide to stay away from the subcontinent.

aandthirtyeights said...

@anonymous
I must agree. Plead guilty. Sentence accordingly.

@Anand
The head of state argument isn't the best because the US has had Heads of State murdered.

Yet, point taken. Security is lax. I don't think it is that bad though. Only time will tell.

@Suhas
With this last incident, we've lost the right to call the Aussies sissies for going through three million security audits before a tour. And, yes, as you say, we cant blame them if they choose to give the subcontinent a miss.

Anand said...

I somehow suspected that you'd point that out. :) I should have said "in the past few decades".

Krishna said...

new zealand is the best place for cricket right now.. As for security, its better for us to be inside the stadium rather than outside while the ipl is happening !

Krishna said...

oh... and i was quite surprised that nawaz sharif came out alive after rallying out in the open... i guess something doesn't seem right..

Anand said...

I hate to have uttered these prophetic words earlier, "Perhaps IPL will be the first place where we will see that is true."

IPL in England? Such a farce.

aandthirtyeights said...

@Krishna
Hehe. New Zealand is not the best. I'm sure Iceland is safer!

@Anand
You wont believe this - your statement is the first thing I thought of when I heard about this!