Jun 13, 2009

Travel

I'm known for unplanned, impromptu travel. I also consider myself an expert at it. I had to use all my expertise to pull off yesterday's bus journey.

First, I booked a ticket on a KSRTC bus on the internet. The bus was surprisingly empty. Didn't understand why. Then, thanks to some directionless driver and vague dinner plans with Appa, I almost didn't reach the bus stand in time. Somehow, things fell in place and we reached Majestic with time to spare. Had a quick coffee, found the bus and boarded it. A good friend called with some happy news. Discussed it with him, and entered the bus. Conductor ticked off my ticket. Sat at seat number 5.

Suddenly, another middle-aged man came to seat number 5. After a quick check, we realised that my ticket was for the wrong date. I was a day early for my bus.

Asked the conductor if he had another seat. Initially, he said he did. So, I waited in that bus until it was about to leave. Then, the idiot tells me he doesn't have a seat.

I walk out of the bus in frustration and two touts hound me and ask me if I want a ticket to Madras. They said there was an AC bus for 950. I showed them the finger. Literally. Then, the guy said, "Non-AC. 500." I was tempted. I walked along with them, when they started negotiating again, "Saar, 600..." I was a bit desperate and I might have agreed. But some other dude standing far away signalled to me saying, "Don't go."

I don't know why I took that decision to not go. I went to the other dude who found me an AC bus for 600 bucks forty minutes past midnight. Had a chai and illuminating conversation with this other dude while we waited for the bus. Definitely the friendliest tout I've seen in my life. Ismail, his name. I tried out my Hyderabadi on him, and he was excited. "Not bad," he told me, "You can speak passably." He didn't even let me pay for the chai.

I wonder what makes us trust some people and not trust some others.The first two touts were as touty as Ismail. Somehow, I decided he would find me a better bus. And he did. Years ago, I trusted a lorry driver in Anantapur. Then, I knew I had nothing he could steal off me. I had about two hundred bucks in my pocket, I didn't own a phone, iPod, laptop or watch. I was wearing hawaii chappals and cheap clothes. If he was giving me a lift, it was out of the goodness of his heart, I believed. And I was right.

On the other hand, I have made errors of judgment. I once even paid heavily for being chatty with an auto driver.
***

In any case, I reached Madras safe and sound this morning. Was the most comfortable of bus journeys. I'm a little sleepy. Will catch up on that after lunch - one of those rare exceptions to non-afternoon sleeping. And then I shall meet more people and take the night train out. Back to Bangalore.

Random one-day travelling sure is fun!
***

3 replies:

iissarayu said...

ah correct. love random travel, random plans and random conversations during travel the most,

im in chennai also - let us do concert? call off.

aandthirtyeights said...

You called off. I wasn't there anymore. The story of our lives, Bird. Wrong places at the wrong times.

Idyll Mind said...

and expensive!!

the 24 hr bus from manipal to hydbad used to be 400 bucks!