Sep 19, 2009

The Supreme Court Speaks on Sex (Part I)

Our Supreme Court has been around for sixty years and in this interim, it has given expert opinions on various issues of utmost importance. Recently, I started looking for the Supreme Court's orders on sex. It started because I remembered this famous judgment I read years ago. Phul Singh v. State of Haryana (for those who have access to legal databases, the citation is AIR 1980 SC 249). When I read the order again, I realised it was far funnier than I remembered it.

Justice Krishna Iyer, in his inimitable style starts his order thus:


"A philanderer of 22, appellant Phul Singh, overpowered by sex stress in excess, hoisted himself into his cousin's house next door, and in broad day-light, overpowered the temptingly lonely prosecutrix of twenty four, Pushpa, raped her in hurried heat and made an urgent exit having fulfilled his erotic sortie."


After setting out some more facts, he goes on:

"We must, however, direct our attention in a different penological direction. For sentencing efficacy in cases of lust-loaded criminality cannot be simplistically assumed by award of long incarceration, for often that remedy aggravates the malady. Punitive therapeutics must be more enlightened than the blind strategy of prison severity where all that happens is sex starvation, brutalisation, criminal companionship, versatile vices through bio-environmental pollution, dehumanised cell drill under 'zoological' conditions and emergence, at the time of release, of an embittered enemy of society and its values with an indelible stigma as convict stamped on him-a potentially good person 'successfully' processed into a hardened delinquent, thanks to the penal illiteracy of the Prison System. The Court must restore the man.

"A hyper-sexed homo sapiens cannot be habilitated by humiliating or harsh treatment, but that is precisely the perversion of unreformed Jail Justice which some criminologists have described as the crime of punishment.

"It may be marginally extenuatory to mention that modern Indian conditions are drifting into societal permissiveness on the carnal front promoting proneness to pornos in life, what with libidinous 'brahmacharis', womanising public men, lascivious dating and mating by unwed students, sex explosion in celluloid and book stalls and corrupt morals reaching a new 'high' in high places. The unconvicted deviants in society are demoralisingly large and the State has, as yet, no convincing national policy on female flesh and sex sanity. We hope, at this belated hour, the Central Government will defend Indian Womanhood by stamping out voluptuous meat markets by merciless criminal action...

"This reflection apart, we must, as part of the sentencing package, design a curative course for this prisoner to rid him of his aphrodisiac overflow and restore him into safe citizenship."

Sire, take a bow. Now to cleanse myself (a libidinous brahmachari) of bio-environmental pollution.

(I have discovered some other gems. Will put them up when I get the time to mine them and produce relevant extracts.)

11 replies:

Idling in Top Gear said...

Brilliant, mate. Just brilliant. I used to think that the Declaration of Independence was fancy writing and the Emancipation Proclamation was well worded, but Justice Krishna Iyer's judgement surpasses both as the epitome of wordsmithery. People just don't write like that anymore.

Aside, in 1980, he thought that there was "ascivious dating and mating by unwed students, sex explosion in celluloid and book stalls and corrupt morals reaching a new 'high' in high places?!" I wonder what he thinks of today's society. :)

Shobha said...

Ohmygod....I'm ROFL-ing here! this is soooo funny :-D :-D Oh please put up some more gems... My first time here. Nice blog... :-)

vikramhegde said...

I have finally found one correct usage of 'homo sapiens' in singular.

This is the M&B of the law.

vikramhegde said...

Also hoping he will contribute to the drafting of the National policy on female flesh and sex sanity. Bestseller I say.

The Frumpy Housewife said...

I would have left some comment but I am completely at a loss for words! Yes, please, more sparklers welcome.

A.X. said...

A different penological direction! Hahahaha. The law has its moments, for sure.

(I wonder what sessions judges do when faced with these precedents?)

Harsh P said...

damn funny! "Recently, I started looking for the Supreme Court's orders on sex." ....well send us a bibliography for for whatever you researched!

Mohan K.V said...

High Brilliance! Pure, refined, concentrated awesomeness!

aandthirtyeights said...

@Idling in Top Gear
True. Justice Iyer was the Jedi of this stuff. The amount of confusion he's caused in the world with his language...

@Shobha
:) Hope to see you more often around here!

@vikramhegde
Haha. I don't know why the GOvernment wastes time on other stuff like the Education Policy. Really.

@LS
They're on their way. There's this stunning Delhi HC judgment on viagra.

@AX
Cite it before a sessions judge and see what happens :P

@harsh
Yes. Biblio will come.

@Mohan k.V.
:)

Anonymous said...

I had my fair share of Krishna Iyer encounters back in law school, but this IS special.

aandthirtyeights said...

@arzkiya
I just discovered some classic sentences in the Satyam, sivam Sundaram judgment!!