Break an Egg
Here are some choice comments and observations on Wake Up, Sid (in bullet point format for easy reading):
• The Director seems to have watched Dil Chahta Hai too many times (which is not a bad thing). And I think he liked parts of Lakshya also. So, there's either tons of internalisation (a la Kavya Vishwanathan) or lots of nudge-nudge-wink-wink-check-out-this-tribute to DCH (that scene where Ranbir Kapoor tells someone on the phone - "Mard ban. Be a man!").
• Every father seems to tell his son to "kal se office aa jaao" at the breakfast table after the son has scraped through (or, as in this case, not scraped through) college. We saw it in DCH, in Hero No. 1 and so on and so forth. Moral: chilled out sons must avoid the breakfast table.
• I have no issues with understated drama. But no drama? Instead, a series of highly convenient (non) events - not my tumbler of filter coffee. Even Sooraj Barjatya films are slightly edgier than this.
• Do all rich kids drink orange juice in the morning? If so, I want to be a rich kid. Yum. Orange Juice.
• I want to understand Konkona Sen's revenue model. The way she moved into a new home, painted and decorated it in a highly un-struggling-writerly manner even without having gotten her job was a bit much. Then, she just allowed Sid to stay with her, not thinking of how she would feed him two square meals a day. Maybe she was also a rich kid masquerading as a non-rich kid.
• Wasn't the Background Score highly elevatorly? Yet, it failed to elevate. (Ok. Fine. Bad joke. Sorry.)
• The paper birds in on the wires in the house represent the fact that the inhabitants are aware of the fact that they can fly, but they prefer sitting on a wire. If this were a Fellini film, I'm sure this interpretation would be welcomed with open arms in the psuedo circles. Unfortunately, this just seems to be the art director being arty and the director going along with the idea.
• Am I the only one who found it significant that Sid had major senti feelings towards the rain and his father's company manufactured showers?
• Is there any reason why one would cry at the end of the movie? (Other than crying out of sheer frustration.)
***
(a) No. I didn't hate the movie this much. Feeling slightly uncharitable currently.
(b) Oh, super super girl, Francis Buchanan (swalpa gender-identity-crisis) has a hilarious blog. Go read.
8 replies:
LOL ! Amidst a spate of "wake-up-sid-is-oh-so-refreshing" reviews, this one made such a good read! Nice space this one!
- An offlate-frequent visitor to your blog, loved your short stories ! :)
internalization eh? ;)
http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2008/02/25/080225fi_fiction_rushdie
Totally unrelated but give this one a whirl. I'm that specter who recommends you random fiction, remember?
@rambiflixion
Thanks! Keep visiting!
@buddy
Internalisation! Yeah.
@Sreya
Read it. Long ago. :)
Ok, testing
Which comments hits on you better
"Nice one, Mami..."
"Please don't forget that Konkona Sen's house is sea-facing (this bothered me deeply, mine faces a dump)"
or, the lateral approach
" Konkona Sen's clothes remind me of yours!"
Rate on a scale of 1-5.
Comment 1 - 2.5
Comment 2 - 3
Comment 3 - 0.01 (Please, I wear the coolest clothes in the world.)
Spot on and hilarious!
So there are now two schools of film-making huh? -- the Akhtar school (for early morning refreshing-ness) and the Barjatya school (to destroy late evening beer-buzzness).
I guess we could add the Johar school for people who never graduate from college but end up in a palace in America.
I'm going to watch Wake up Sid today because you recommended it. :)
Konkona Sen's revenue model invovles her having captured the monopoly over playing earnest-Bengali-women-who-come-to-Bombay-to-find-their-dream-and-then-meet-inappropriate-men.
Going by the past, I was half expecting Sid to be bisexual (Page 3 and Life in a Metro) or atleast unfaithful (Luck by Chance)
Post a Comment