I am not a Whale
Some borrowed words for your reading pleasure, from an early chapter in Haruki Murakami's A Wild Sheep Chase. I finished reading this book a while ago, but the book hasn't finished with me.
"We are not whales - and this constitutes one great theme underscoring our sex life.
When I was a kid, there was an aquarium thirty minutes by bicycle from where I lived. A chill aquarium-like silence always pervaded the place, with only an occasional splash to be heard. I could almost feel the Creature from the Black Lagoon breathing in some dim corner.
Schools of tuna circled 'round and 'round the enormous pool. Sturgeon plied their own narrow watercourse, pirahna set their razor-sharp teeth into chunks of meat, and electric eels sputtered and sparked like shorted-out lightbulbs.
The aquarium was filled with countless other fish as well, all with different names and scales and fins. I couldn't figure out why on earth there had to be so many kinds of fish.
There were, of course, no whales in the aquarium. One whale would have been too big, even if you knocked out all the walls and made the entire aquarium into one tank. Instead, the aquarium kept a whale penis on display. As a token, if you will.
So it was that my most impressionable years of boyhood were spent gazing not at a whale but a whale's penis. Whenever I tired of strolling through the chill aisles of the aquarium, I'd steal off to my place on the bench in the hushed, high-ceilinged stillness of the exhibition room and spend hours in end contemplating this whale's penis.
At times it would remind me of a tiny shriveled palm tree; at other times, a giant ear of corn. In fact, if not for the plaque - WHALE GENITAL: MALE - no one would have taken it to be a whale's penis. More likely an artifact unearthed from the Central Asian desert than a product of the Antarctic Ocean. It bore no resemblance to my penis, not to any penis I'd ever seen. What was worse, the severed penis exuded a singular, somehow unspeakable aura of sadness.
It came back to me, that giant whale's penis, after having intercourse with a girl for the very first time. What twists of fate, what torturous circumnavigations, had brought it to that cavernous exhibition room. My heart ached, thinking about it. I felt as if I didn't have a hope in the world. But I was only seventeen and too young to give up on everything. It was then and there I came to the realization I have borne in mind ever since.
Which is, that I am not a whale."
Now you know why he leaves me speechless.
12 replies:
The word "dork" means whale penis. Thought I'd share.
OK -- correction, apparently, it doesn't! It just means any old penis. Also, my word verification for this is "semen", I kid you not.
Excuse me while I go snort my focaccia out of my nose.
Heyy....your cousin from the bangkok region(i honestly didnt realize there would be so much connection with penis coming this soon) pointed me to your blog!! Made for a fabulous read, especially on a dull avani avittam day at home, after all the appams and payasams!
But which aquarium is this - i've loved visiting the one near cubbon but never seen something this fascinating! Must definitely visit..
Keep writing...will check back in a few weeks(which is how much my reading habit permits me) to catch up on all you've written!
Cheers!
Rahul
Speechless is right.
I've read only Sputnik Sweetheart and I don't know what to make of it, not even a year after I read it.
Him and Chuck Palahniuk. Good grief.
@sreya
:) yeah, just penis.
@rahul
This was written by Murakami, in Japan - so, the aquarium is there :)
@crazylittlething
Read Sputnik Sweetheart when you're twenty-five, aimless and mind-wandering. Then you'll know what to make of it.
Oh, also
@sreya
Hahahaha. Word verification is clairvoyant. I'm convinced.
@crazylittlething
Just chuck Palahniuk.
WOW...shows so well i'm not used to reading! :) How could i miss the very first words...was truly wondering how i might have missed an aquarium like that!
Anyway...i'm hoping the others were written by you!
:)
I think I qualify for the mind-wandering bit.
And after Guts, who wouldn't want to chuck Palahniuk?
@Rahul
Haha. Yeah, the others, unless stated otherwise, were written by me!
@crazylittlething
Chuck.
So beautiful your blog. I cried several times when reading.
He's one of my obsessions! Plan is to go to Tokyo and visit his little jazz bar in April. Want to come?
M
@M:
Oooh. April. Japan. Jazz bar. Murakami.
(Sadly, holidays are only in May :( )
Post a Comment