The Odds and Ends Post
So, every now and then, there's one of these - a collection of random angst, outpourings, jokes, links and suchlike. As always, in bullet point format.
My Brother's Birthday
Today is my brother's birthday. I wish him a great day, month, year. Wish him more writing, more fun, more jokes. A joke dedicated to him on his birthday (since I've spent most of the day in the hospital):
Munnabhai MBBS = Durjan Surgeon.
Rama's Birthday
Ramanavami happened. I have a ritual on Ramanavami (and have had it for 4 years now) - I give a concert privately to myself. Sit in a quiet place with a sruti box. Start with a varnam, and then sing/play various Rama songs for about two-and-a-half hours in concert format replete with alapana, neraval, swaram, a main ragam, a sub-main, some small tukkadas. This year, I made a concious effort to include as many non-Thyagaraja songs as possible in the list. I played Mohanam as main (Ra Ra Rajivalochana Rama), Nannubrovarada in Madhyamavati, Brochevarevarura (Khamas) - all compositions of Mysore Vasudevacharya, Ramachandram Bhavayami (Dikshitar), and of course Palukebangaramaayera, Rama Rama... There were some perennially favourite Thyagaraja songs also.
It is my favourite time of the year!
It's funny, though, that Rama is today associated with the most unwanted elements. First, and most prominent, is the Rama Sena and its culture-vulturing, its war against pub culture (that beats the war against Iraq to the most pointless war in the world), its war against immoral women, and its upholding of a warped, ancient Hindu Dharma. Then, there's the whole did-he-build-the-bridge-or-not controversy, where, ridiculously enough, the Supreme Court is called on to decide if he existed at all. Then, there's the Ramajanmabhoomi mess... I'd like to quote a Tyagaraja song right now, but I shan't.
Random Conversation on Love since Last Post
"Are you still in love with me?"
"No. I think its faded now."
"Yeah? I'm glad!"
"Yeah. Love is like a pair of jeans. If you're in it for long enough, it fades."
"What about pre-faded jeans?"
At that point, I had no reply. (And even if I did, it was some non-notable one.) But then I wondered, pre-faded jeans = arranged marriage?
This love and fading jeans analogy has much scope. Hmmm. Must explore.
A Wednesday
I watched A Wednesday today, fully and finally. I know this statement is politically incorrect and could lead to serious loss of social life, but I didn't like it. I thought the premise of the film was flimsy, and its execution was cliched. Go on then, excommunicate me.
Pyaasa
I watched it again last night. No one makes films like him. No one does. Really.
Of Two Plays
Finally caught a show of God - a play by Woody Allen. This new group in Bangalore called Tattvam Theatre was performing it. I thought it was fairly well executed, although it didn't go entirely with my interpretation of the script. I also felt in places that I had laughed a lot more when I read the script than when I watched it. Crucially, I was a bit disappointed with the half-hearted adaptation to Indian circumstances. All of Woody Allen's works are written in a context, and outside that context, many of the jokes lose their humour. Therefore, I think an a fuller adaptation (at the very least, Bangalore-ising the entire play instead of a half-hearted Bangalore- New York type adaptation) would have been much better. Also, I didn't like a couple of actors. Lastly, it looked like they had taken too many ideas from a Youtube video of the play being performed by some other amateurs. A little thought and a little research (for instance, Sardi's - often referred to in the original play - is a famous restaurant in the theatre district of New York. A Wikipedia search would have told them that. In adapting that to McDonald's takes away from the humour of those lines) would have made it much much better. In any case, it is a very difficult play to pull off, and despite a sluggish start, they really did a wonderful job, and deserve a round of applause for it. Oh, the guy who played the Actor deserves fourteen rounds of applause. Absolutely wonderful!
The second play was The Doctor Despite Himself by Moliere, performed at Alliance by a group called Miracle Entertainment. I had major reservations about this play.
1. The script wasn't the strongest around - and by no means is it Moliere's most revered work. Wonder why you'd still want to do it today in the same way. It is a story that could have been completely adapted to modern Indian circumstances and performed with more natural dialogue (I'm not too fond of Christ College type people playing Jack and Tommy and Lucas speaking sentences beginning with "Aye!")
2. The dialogue is a translation of some 17th Century French into 18th century English, and the actors just couldn't emote in that language. Hell, some of the actors just couldn't emote.
3. The production was super-tacky. The sets weren't imaginative, the lighting was really patchy, backstage work was much like college drama. The director dude (who spoke too much at the end of the play) said this was their fourth play, and still made some song-and-dance about amateur theatre. Boss, at some point, you must shed that amateur tag? And a fourth production is a reasonable time to expect that?
4. And, the curtain call. Um, why did you inflict that on us?
An Announcement
I'm seriously thinking of starting a Carnatic Music blog. No no, not one of those blogs with some technical discussions on vague ragas quoting from the Sangeeta Sampradaya Pradarshini. This will be a fun exercise - concert reviews, jokes, the occasional serious article on some issue (rants about bad amplification systems or mobile phones, for instance), photos and related items. Basically, a blog where one writes from the heart. Cheesy enough?
Anyone interested in being co-blogger, helping with design/technical fundae, angel investors, donors, mail me - swaroop dot mami at gmail dot com - or leave a comment here. The idea is still in my head. No concreteness yet. So, suggestions welcome.
14 replies:
thanks for the birthday wishes ..
and the joke-- i think you've now broken new barriers with it-- time for competition (read: me) to pull up their (my) socks :) ..
Agree re Wednesday. Silly premise, ugly men. Rang de Basanti has a somewhat similar premise (vengeful pop nationalism plus people taking things in their own hands) but men hotter, and I am in love with that Siddharth guy.
see both your and sarayus problem was that you saw it AFTER the hype...you should have seen it like me first day no clue what it was about (it was sttill solpa-ish predictable)and not knowing that it was suppouse to be a "good" movie. Anyhoo how can you not adore nasseruddin shah. Even if he was selling shampoo he'd be adorable. and yes it was v upsetting to see jimmy shergill having turned so flabby....but still he is cute-ish
ok my point is- i dont have one
and also more on the jeans- faded jeans more comfortable and more difficult to get rid off.
> I know this statement is
> politically incorrect and
> could lead to serious loss
> of social life, but I didn't
> like it.
Thank goodness. I thought the movie was decently made (technicalities wise), but the approach it was advocating was execrable, and the audience (in the theatre that I saw it in) applauding and cheering was just scarily disturbing (and execrable). Also somewhat amusing to think that people sitting in Rs. 100 seats in a multi-plex thought of themselves as "middle class" and empathized so much with the Naseeruddin Shah character.
@Sharan
I have more jokes. You keep waiting. Btw, treat?
@iissarayu
Have you seen "Kanchom ishtam koncham kashtam"? If not, lets... It also has Siddharth.
@mem1
Naseeruddin Shah in 'Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron' was adorable, yes. But in 'A Wednesday' - he was okay.
@mem2
Yes yes, I know. It has mega-scope. One can write a book about it!
@Ludwig
Apart from the super-rich, the rest of the world thinks of itself as middle class... Also, these 'issue' movies - unless they're made like 'Deshdrohi', the world is forced to accept them as great movies. 'Sarfarosh', for instance.
Haven't seen it yet, but if the premise is at all similar to RDB, will avoid. Totally agree with iissarayu above on the use of the phrase "pop nationalism" (and this was something I felt only after having loved that movie the first time), which seems to be particularly appealing to the che-guevara t-shirt wearing types among us. Had a similar feeling from the crowd when I watched Mangal Pandey too.
carnatic music is awesome. i enjoy singing those mini concerts too.
but why private? are you that bad? :P
and, absolutely second the Carnatic blog. a much needed filling of internet voids. also consider a law blog. a Carnatic law blog is probably best.
@Suhas
Che Guevara? The Singer close to Castro? :P
@Anjana
:) I could send you a recording, and you could decide for yourself :P
@Ludwig
There are many law blogs around... You've heard of Law and Other Things. There's also indialegalviews.blogspot.com and spicyipindia.blogspot.com (which is a very good blog). These link to more law blogs...
Yup, no subtlety intended!
And, have you checked out the site "Blogswara" before? Seems to be a big common platform for (mainly) amateur musicians to share music; found a lot of links to music blogs there too. Pretty sure you'll find lots of willing collaborators there..
@Suhas
Checked it out! Thanks!
Yay! I hated Wednesday too.
Let's be fraands.
Post a Comment